[vorbis] iTunes / quick time

Tom Felker tcfelker at mtco.com
Tue Feb 4 17:44:13 PST 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 19:27, Paul de Weerd wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 08:42:12PM +0100, Daniel Schregenberger wrote:
> | > Anyone heard anything on official support from either product ?
> |
> | No, but this might interest Mac & Music Fans: there's an article on Slashdot,
> | saying someone ported Linux on the iPod. According to the project site Tremor
> | runs at about 80% realtime, but there are still some improvements to come!
> |
> | http://ipodlinux.sourceforge.net/
>
> This smells like a hoax.... very vague .. funky screenshots .. lame
> excuses why nothing is further explained .. I'd take this with a grain
> of salt ;)
>
> Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

It seems very authentic to me.  Look at the descriptions of the build
process, (vanilla kernel + uClinux + ipodlinux, make a kernel, make an
fs, copy over, etc.), as well as the patch itself, which is 17000 lines
of authentic-looking insertions and deletions.  Since I don't have the
hardware or the time, I can't totally confirm it, but if it was a hoax,
it would have been quicker to just do it for real.

Linux has run on stranger things.

I'd put my name behind it.

--
Tom Felker