[vorbis] Vorbis Comment question

gtgbr at gmx.net gtgbr at gmx.net
Thu Feb 27 13:44:12 PST 2003

Sergey Meniailenko wrote:
> I have seen these specs many times before. The problem is that GUESTARTIST is not one of the official field specifications. =)

Well, seriously, I can't quite grasp the issue you're having. ;P

Compliant players are able to display ANY tag. Winamp 2 with a fairly
recent in_vorbis.dll is one of those (I don't use other players than WA2
on Windows, so I don't know about WA3 and other players). If you check
out the configuration of the Vorbis decoder plugin, you'll notice that
you can define anything in the "display" field. For example, I added a
tag to an .ogg named SUSHI=tasty! and changed the display variable to
%sushi% ... it worked as expected. :)

About the minor/major contributor to a tune ... how about

ARTIST=Major Artist feat. Minor Artist

or

ARTIST=Major Artist and Another Major Artist

I mean, you CAN do really everything with Vorbis tags, and as I said,
compliant players already support that. If yours doesn't, ask the
developer(s) to look into it.

And when it comes to hardware players ... well, you'll face entirely
different problems there, most like a simple lack of room to display
anything besides ARTIST and TITLE. I'm also pretty sure that the current
standard tags are flexible enough to suit your needs - maybe you're not
flexible enough to understand that? :) I don't think another standard
tag is justified ...