[vorbis] Why is Ogg Vorbis better than mp3?

Troy Telford troyt at myrealbox.com
Mon Feb 24 18:30:37 PST 2003

Øyvind Stegard wrote:

>I can't really answer this from a technical point of view, but I'm pretty sure MP3 uses the Lecter-model while Ogg uses Bateman. Bateman is a newer, more modern model.

I've gotta ask about this one...  The computing world is full of all
kinds of references to media and/or literature...

Is there any link between the "Lecter model" and "Hannibal Lecter" -- As
well as "Bateman" after the same character in "Psycho?"  Or is it just
coincidence that the models are named after horror movie characters who
hacked their victims to pieces?

Where can I find more about the story!?!