[vorbis] OGG Edge artifacts due to compression

Scott Velasquez scottv at gearboxsoftware.com
Mon Feb 24 10:15:38 PST 2003

Hello all,

I'm finishing up a sound engine for a PC game product which uses Vorbis
to playback OGG music samples.  However, I've run into a problem with
edge artifacts on sounds that need to either loop back onto themselves
or into other music tracks, without fading.  I've also experienced this
same problem on large music files that are broken up into smaller
permutations to save sound cache space.  The ending sample of one
permutation will not always match the beginning sample of another
permutation.  I got around this problem with XBOX ADPCM by using
seamless lead-in and lead-out bytes, but because of the nature of OGG, I
don't think it's that simple.

Just as a test, I tried compressing 1K of extra data (which was a see
saw effect starting with the last sample value) which was attached it to
the end of each permutation, and then decompress it with the original
size.  This didn't work I'm sure because I need to physically edit the
Vorbisfile to remove the extra data before decompression.

Can somebody please shed some light on this?  Any information would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott Velasquez
Software Engineer