[vorbis] trying to get better ogg quality for this clip

Giuliano Pochini pochini at shiny.it
Sat Feb 22 03:48:36 PST 2003

On gio, 2003-02-20 at 04:03, John E. Leon Guerrero wrote:
> hi folks, in my (unlucky) first test of ogg vs other encoders, i found a
> case where wma and mp3pro sound much better than ogg at 64k.  can anyone
> suggest a setting that i haven't tried yet that can rival the wma and
> mp3pro samples at 64k?  it's the "gravel effect" that is troublesome.
>
> the part in question is the first 15 seconds of this wave file:
> http://qa01.live365.com/jlg/VH_simple.wav

Heh. That peice is really hard to encode. Apart the infamous high
frequencies boost, vorbis amplifies a lot a very backgroung noise at the
beginning of the clip (1s:1.8s). Mp3 does a bad job too.
VH_simple_pro.mp3 sounds "fine" because there are no hi frq harmonics
(22KHz), but chords sound washy (09s:11s). I can't play wma.