[vorbis] Bookmarks

Nemo - earth native nemo at cheeky.house.cx
Mon Feb 10 04:18:06 PST 2003

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 06:13:53AM -0500, Corey Miller did utter:
> make it an array of numbers for the times, then just assume they go in
> order, so it would be {0,354,565,765,1200) which would be setting
> part1.1 to 0, part 1.2 to 354, etc.  I have to get ready to leave, so
> when I have some free time I'll look at how ogg handles tags and be
> able to give a more accurate response to this.

Seems to me you're trying to force computer readable data into tagging,
which is meant for human readable data. Both can coincide, and it's
easier to train a computer program to handle human data...

Why not just split the file into parts (vorbiscut), give each it's own
tags (CHAPTER=3.1, PART=4.1, BOOKMARK=5.9, or however you want). Then
join all the ogg files backtogether.

The result is a single oggfile with tags internally that differentiate
parts. The advantage here is that everyday players will update their
display appropriatly for that tag (assuming it is shown at all), it
makes sense to a human looking at the tags within a file later on. Your
player simply has to do a check through the ogg file first-up to build
it's own array of what chapters/bookmarks exist...

The downside is that with current tools at least, the only way to add a
new bookmark in is to cut the file, write the tag, and rejoin. :(
The severity of this disadvantage will really depend on how often you
plan to update bookmarks within a file...

.../nemo

--
/   "I only know as much about myself    \ /     === DISCLAIMER ===      \
--  as my mind can work out under it's  -- -- Use of advanced messaging --