[vorbis] Winamp5

noprivacy at earthlink.net noprivacy at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 17 09:03:51 PST 2003

The WinAmp forums itself and the comments of several of the higher
moderators.  Some of whom give the impression that they are indeed aware of
what is going on behind the scenes but aren't allowed to officially say
anything about it.  And no, that doesn't mean casual speculation by the
forum participants.

No, I don't have specific links.  I didn't bother keeping them.  I came
across that, oh, about the time winamp5_rc8 was released and I was browsing
the forum.  In fact, I was looking around there because I had heard that
vorbis encoding was going to be a *paid* feature rather than a free feature.
They said they were giving AAC for free but making mp3 and Vorbis a paid
feature.  Go figure!

But go over there and look for things like 'vorbis' and enc_vorbis.dll and
so on and you'll find it pretty easily.  It's mixed up in several threads,
but you shouldn't have any problems finding it.

Also, don't forget that vorbis cd ripping *was* included in the earler alpha
releases and unofficial releases but was pulled from the later betas and
release candidates.  The enc_vorbis.dll I gave the link to previous was the
official encoder plugin written by the winamp team themselves.  As of yet,
they haven't released any sdk's for anybody to write their own plugins for
Winamp5.

free but in the commercial world, claims like that don't mean anything.
Somebody is going to have to put in some big bucks to do extensive
investigation to make sure they wont be likely to get sued.  Hopefully AOL
is doing that because once they do, then other commercial products might
decide to include vorbis encoding.