[vorbis] Hardware encoder.

engdev engdev at bigpond.net.au
Sun Aug 31 22:56:55 PDT 2003

Hi everyone, I sent this a while ago but have not had a *single* response.

I realise that most of you guys are into PC (etc) platforms, and therefore shun my request.

However, the MP3 licence fees are extraodinarily high for the IP to put into a DSP, which by necessity is part of a portable recorder. There are more and more of these devices getting out there now, and all of the manufacturers would have to pay these fees.

Ogg is supposed to be an alternative, but for hardware I think I may be wrong. FIIS have this corner packaged very neatly, they know it, and they charge for it. They have to make up for the revenue lost from PC platforms somehow!

Is there *any* moves to port the Ogg encoder to any type of DSP?

Thanks.