[vorbis] How to choose quality

Tom Felker tcfelker at mtco.com
Fri Aug 8 10:21:43 PDT 2003

On Friday 08 August 2003 7:25 am, soo at o2.pl wrote:
> Hi
>
> I made a CD-backup with cdparanoia | oggenc and I tried to use different
> values of -q listening to the effect by cdparanoia | oggenc -o - | mplayer
> -. The best quality was 8 -- why? Oggenc version was the precompiled 1.0
> from Mandrake 9. --- >8 ----

I'm amazed you can hear a difference between -q8 and -q7.  It's possible that
mplayer isn't decoding right, though.  What happens when you substitute
mplayer with ogg123?

--
Tom Felker

I'd gladly pay $1 to legally download a song in a format _completely_
devoid of "rights management."  If a content provider won't sell me
that, they either don't trust me or want to limit my rights, and they
don't deserve my business, my bandwidth, or my time.