[vorbis] 128k listening tests completed

Greg Wooledge greg at wooledge.org
Tue Aug 5 16:59:06 PDT 2003

Charles Philip Chan (cpchan at sympatico.ca) wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 11:35:16 -0700 (PDT)
> the brilliant beast <hanksmith4 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > how can I fix this?
>
> We just have to change to clear signing for this list.

Or we could continue doing things the right way, and let the Outlook
users suffer or upgrade to real software. ;-)

(For those who haven't figured it out yet, the problem is that when
a modern MUA PGP-signs a message, it produces a multiple-part MIME
message, with the first part being text/plain, and the second part
being the PGP signature.  Most MUAs handle this intelligently --
they display the text/plain part by default, and do something
reasonable with the PGP signature, even if they can't handle it
directly.  But Outlook doesn't show the text/plain part by default;
the user has to double click it or something silly like that.  It's
a limitation of Outlook, and the remedy is to switch to some other
MUA.  This also has the advantage of rendering Outlook-specific worms
unable to use your address book as a breeding ground.)

(MUA = Mail User Agent, e.g. mutt or pine or Outlook or Thunderbird....)

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |