[vorbis] vcut breaks song index ? XMMS search fails

Sebastien Cevey seb at cine7.net
Wed Aug 27 18:09:07 PDT 2003

Hello

I have experienced some problems with vcut
(media-sound/vorbis-tools-1.0-r1 package from Gentoo/Linux).

I have a long live record I have encoded in OGG (maybe it would have
been easier to cut the WAV file and encode the parts, but still). The
file was encoded with oggenc from the same package as vcut.

I have therefore tried to use vcut to split the long OGG file in
several smaller files.

Actually, I have successfully separated several songs from the
original file, but I have encountered a problem while reading those
parts. Listening to the small ogg files is alright, but when I try to
move forward or backward in the file (moving the position cursor), the
player crashes.

I first thought it was an XMMS (media-sound/xmms-1.2.7-r20) bug, but
then I tried it again with Winamp, and the problem seemed to
persist. Actually, Winamp didn't crash when I moved forward, it just
skipped to the next song of the playlist, but there still seems to be
a problem there.

Now to make sure it was the original OGG file which was corrupted, I
tried it again with a different file. The problem was still there.

I'm not sure it is one) :

$ # Let orig.ogg be the original ogg file
$ vcut orig.ogg part1.ogg rest.ogg 1000000
$ vcut rest.ogg part2.ogg part3.ogg 1000000
$ xmms part?.ogg

part1.ogg and part3.ogg are "searchable", but part2.ogg isn't.

It seems like the file containing the beginning and the end don't have
the problem, but the middle files do.

have not found threads discussing this in this ML archives either. My
apologies if this is a dupe.

--
Sebastien Cevey <seb at cine7.net>
Cine7.Net  -  Milcis.Net  -  ProgramPlay.Org

" To condense fact from the vapor of nuance. "
Neal Stephenson [ Snow Crash ]