[vorbis] Why FLAC, why not MAC?

J C Fitzgerald v7022 at wave.co.nz
Wed Aug 27 04:01:22 PDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 12:34:55PM +0200, Csaba Horvath wrote:

> Why do some of you use FLAC for lossless encoding? I've done some
> test and MAC filesizes were always smaller. I don't seem to see what
> the problem is.

Speaking for myself, it's just happens to be the route I took to get
there:

        .wav --> .mp3 (aborted) --> .ogg --> .flac

I didn't set out to find the best lossless encoding.  Once I'd stumbled
into it, FLAC seemed a *much* better choice then bzip2ed RIFFs.  So after
some trials and testing, I switched.  You can waste a lot of time trying
to optimise such choices.

I don't know anything about MAC; how much smaller are the files?
Perhaps FLAC can learn from it... perhaps not.

Seems beneficial to stay within the Xiph stable if the tools will allow
the various formats to work well together, though.

John