[vorbis] offtopic mailer discussion

noprivacy at earthlink.net noprivacy at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 5 16:20:02 PDT 2003

> > So basically, it is a *known* problem with OE (not the first time a bug
has
> > been found in MS code!) **BUT** some mailer clients ignore the known
problem
> > and allow their users to create emails which many (most!) people will be
> > unable to read.
> >
> > Certainly nice of the authors, don't you think...
>
> This is the most self-centered, ignorant, and brain-dead reasoning I've
> ever encountered in my 17+ years of email, Usenet, and BBS'.

So, you are saying that it is *okay* for an author to deliberately write a
program that he *KNOWS* will generate mail that 95%+ of the world can *NOT*
read?

Standards are great.  But only as long as *everybody* follows them and does
so without any bugs.  Adding features etc. is great, but if you want it to
be compatable with everybody, then you have to write for the lowest common
denominator.

When 95%+ of the world uses a mail client that can't properly handle some
aspect of some standard (regardless of why), then only an arrogant fool will
write a program that will generate data (email etc.) that will deliberately
*not* work with it.

I'm not fan of Microsoft.  And I've never ever suggested they write bug free
code.

But even the most niave user will have to admit that Windows is 95%+ of the
desktop world and that anybody who writes a general purpose application that
generates data that is *deliberately* incompatable with it, is not acting in
the best interests of their own users.  And that even if you do actually do
that, you should at least warn your users so they will know there is a good
chance that your data (email etc.) will be incompatable.