[vorbis] changes at pan.zipcon

al goldstein gold at gas.zipcon.net
Tue Aug 5 14:27:26 PDT 2003

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Nathan I. Sharfi wrote:

> > On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Nathan I. Sharfi wrote:
> >
> > Are there any Mac users of ogg? If so, we need there help. Are there free
> > programs for ogg decode for any versions of OS X?
> >
> > ..........Al
>
> I use a Mac.
>
> FIAS: Frogg (http://www.poweredbyg.nu/frogg/)
> FIAB: {}
> non-free: Audion (http://www.panic.com/audion/),
>           MacAmp (http://www.macamp.com/)
>
> Unfortunately, Frogg is, er, how to say...wanting for features; it doesn't
> play more than one file at a time.
>
> Not that I am bitter.

Thanks for the Mac stuff I'll put in. Also any amplification that might make
it easier for users.

I've changed the objected parts of MP3.Readme to:

"If you are interested in free music you should get ogg files.
Ogg sounds better than mp3 at the same bitrate."

> A few other random comments:
>
> In http://pan.zipcon.net/Windows/programs/index.html:
> Would you consider removing everything in there except for for zinf and
> unzip? They're all ancient and one can get more readable information from
> elsewhere.

Please supply where and I'll replace them.

Formerly my tree had relative links in it. Giuliano Pochini pointed out that
this resulted in duplification of files, because the links weren't hypertext
links. I was testing a program "sdin" that he wrote for converting the links.
I've removed for now the index.html files that sdin generated, and removed
the file links.

> What's "sdin"? If it's not something any of us need, delete it. At any rate,
> it's probably being served up as the wrong mime type. I think it's an ELF
> binary, in which case it really shouldn't be there. Similarly for /blurbs/.

Notice blurbs is unreadable. It would be nice to have but it still requires
a lot of work. However it is a distraction and I'll save it elsewhere.

I value your help Nathan, I think you would certainly improve things.
I am very green at this kind of publication inspite of being a "geezer".
I possibly made the mistake of organizing things around the record
publication list. Contrib was added for new stuff not in the original
recordings.  It might make sense to drop that structure.

The more recent additions are the result of people telling me they don't know
how to get and play the files. The question is: what level of competence does
one aim at?

Cheers.............Al