[vorbis] some more Spec questions

Segher Boessenkool segher at koffie.nl
Tue Apr 29 21:16:34 PDT 2003

Carsten Haese wrote:
> No, the specification is the real specification, but it was written down
> after the reference implementation (which was made from specs in Monty's
> head). The reference implementation is therefore much better tested and
> more likely to be correct. Please keep in mind that the specification is
> the work of a human being, and therefore it may contain errors. It takes
> people like you to help debug the specification, and I'm sure your
> efforts are appreciated.

The main problem here is that there has been at least 10x too
little effort put into the spec.  Work like Sebastian does now
should have been done already (twice), and the spec should have
been proofread by a lot of people, and the spec should have been
compared to at least two implementations, and... etc.  But it
seems there haven't been enough resources to do all this.

>>Hmmm.... If've the impression, that i'm not taken seriously.

Of course you are taken seriously -- else I wouldn't reply
at all.

>>Actually, I expected the people who are responsible for the spec
>>to answer my questions without any "look at libVorbis", because
>>I thought, that the correctness of the spec isn't important to
>>just me rather to all the people.

Well no-one remembers all details by heart, and if the spec is
wrong, where else to look than a known-working implementation?

>>It should not have been much work to answer my questions for those
>>who are involved with vorbis.
>
> I can only guess that Segher's intention was to help you help yourself,

...which is a lot less work, both for me and for Sebastian.