[vorbis] Ogg bitstream spec question

Segher Boessenkool segher at koffie.nl
Sun Apr 27 19:06:05 PDT 2003

Aaron Knauf wrote:
 > Do you speak for everyone at Xiph.Org?

Mike speaks for himself, but I'm sure we all agree on the issue here:
it would be a bad idea to change the spec *just* to make implementation
easier.

> I am more than 70% through the implementation of the Ogg bitstream spec
> (in prep for vorbis decoder and then encoder implementations), which (if
> there is any interest) I intend to make freely available once complete.
> Isn't this exactly what Xiph.Org professes to encourage?

The goal of Xiph.org is not to make free software, but to make an
open, free, libre, whatever, audio (and other multimedia) standard.
Free software is only (a part of) a means to an end here.

Of course, having free implementations is a good thing -- but it is
*not* the goal.

[I don't speak for Xiph, btw -- this is just my understanding of matters].

> FYI - I am not suggesting modifying any existing spec.  Nor am I
> suggesting anything specific to any implementation.  I am /asking/
> whether or not it is considered useful to tunnel Ogg within Ogg and

I don't think it would be all that useful -- Ogg is a transport-level
layer, it would need more semantics for Ogg-in-Ogg encapsulation to
be useful.

> /suggesting/ that an additional spec that defines a standard mechanism
> for tunnelling Ogg within Ogg (similar to the way in which the Vorbis
> spec specifies Vorbis-in-Ogg) would be useful if that were the case.  I

Vorbis-*on*-Ogg, not *in* -- Vorbis is a different semantical layer.

the semantics to do so are, so go ahead -- although I think it would be
wasting your time.