[vorbis] Ogg Filesharing Tool

noprivacy at earthlink.net noprivacy at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 29 11:54:22 PDT 2003

> > As for Ogg vorbis.... the reality is that not many people use it.  Most
> > people aren't going to use it until programs like EasyCD, NeroCD,
>
> i knew that the situation is not that good yet, but still the worlds most
> popular player winamp supports ogg, there is a plugin for nero, one og the

Most people wont use a third party plugin like that.  With so much spyware,
trojans, etc. you gotta be careful with what you put onto your system.
(Yes, I try stuff too.  I'm just saying people need to be careful and that
third party stuff you've never heard may not be trustworthy.)  And third
party plugins don't always work right, either.

But most people who use those programs will only use what's readily
available in the program itself.  They aren't going to go hunt up a plugin
to use.

The other, more experienced people, are quite willing to use things like EAC
to rip their cds, and use Ogg Drop directly.  Or to use CDex (which is what
I normally use.).

The more casual people are generally going to use what comes with the
regular software they use.  Which is generally mp3 unless you want to pay
more money for some other format.  (Which is why mp3pro never caught on.)

> i know that there are more people down there who use ogg. but where do
they
> hide. do they all use linux and share their files on linux only tools. ogg

I think most people still really do use mp3 to share.  So many fileshare
programs only use mp3 / wma for the 'audio only' filter that they just don't
bother.  And searching through 'all' files can result in a whole lotta false
hits, so most people don't bother

someone
> must use this tools and visit this sites. don't these people listen to
music
> on their pc. don't they share this music on the internet???

Yes, some people do use it.

But I think Ogg Vorbis is still more hype than use.  "Everybody" is talking
about it, but few are actually using it for their day to day music stuff.
Even I haven't bothered to re-rip my older cd's for my own listening.  The
existing 192k vbr mp3's are good enough.  For Ogg, I've only converted the
cd's I've bought since Ogg went officially 1.0 (prior to 1.0 I refused to
use it.  I don't use beta stuff for anything but casual testing.)

free music format.  That's why mp3Pro and AAC etc. haven't caught on.  And
they want the format to be supported by the stuff they normally use.  They
don't want to be forced to change players or rippers.

Vorbis fits the first requirement but not the second.  And unless it does,
unless people can convince EasyCD, Nero, MusicMatch, RealOne, and maybe even
Windows Media (yeah, right!) to add support for it, it's not going to really
catch on.

In the early days, mp3 was significantly better than other formats so people
supported it because it was best.  Today there is no clear quality winner,
so you end up with several competing formats.  And until one does gain much
wider support and people actually start *asking* for it in their products,
it's not going to be supported more by software products and manufacturers.

Have *you* asked your software manufacture & file sharing programm to add
support for it?  If not, then, well.... that's basically why it's not widely
supported.

If you like Ogg Vorbis that much, then go write MusicMatch and Roxio/EasyCD
and Ahead/Nero and Kazaa and whatever else and ask for support.