[vorbis] bitpeeler

Sebastian Gesemann sgeseman at uni-paderborn.de
Wed Apr 16 06:56:24 PDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

SG>> I'm not sure if it is possible to reencode a vorbis file to
SG>> a newer better-peelable vorbis-1 file.
SB> I _am_ sure it is possible, though :)

Let me put it in a more accurate form. What I meant to say was:
  I'm not sure that reencoding a vorbis file to a better peelable
  file by increasing the amount of quantization stages without
  introducing new quantizazion errors is possible.

> Current streams already are multi-stage.

Ok...
The only thing that can be done then is IMHO reordering the
quantization passes of different residue classifications and
the corresponding residue_cascade[class] flags.

Did you mean this by 'losslessly reencoding' ?
If yes: Well, this can be done losslessly - I agree.
If no:  How do you want to get a better peelable file then ??!

Sebastian