[vorbis] bitpeeler

Graham Mitchell graham at grahammitchell.com
Tue Apr 15 15:46:40 PDT 2003

> >Yes.  But libvorbis-1.0 encoded streams are not very nicely peelable --
> >that's why I losslessly reencode them, first.
>
> Am I correct in guessing that you are referring to re-huff'ing them?

Both are lossless processes, but I don't think they are the same.  Rehuffing
refers to replacing the generic huffman trees used for a given file with an
optimal which is specific to that file.  This ends up reducing the file size
a few percent, but doesn't provide any hinting for peelers.

The reason the optimal huffman trees aren't used by default is because doing
so requires the ability to scan through the entirety of the data stream
before starting encoding.  This would make it impossible to encode
on-the-fly, which is a major goal for vorbis.

The reason hinting for peelers isn't done yet is because a) it's hard, b) up
until recently it hasn't been anywhere near the front of the priority queue,
and c) no one wants it bad enough to pay for development, so other things are
being done first.

Optimal huffman codes will never be used by default, though there's been talk
of adding an option to oggenc to enable a pre-encoding pass over the data to
create them if you've got it all in advance.  Not sure if this is really
planned anytime soon, but it's been mentioned.

Peeler hinting will eventually be done, but since it may be more
computationally-intensive than just "normal" encoding it may not be the
default.

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School
"It is not possible to be 'incidentally a Christian'. The fact of