[vorbis] vorbis on a hardware player

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Sat Sep 14 02:25:32 PDT 2002

Will Maier wrote:
> im quite impressed with vorbis...excellent codec and very compatible with players. however, im thinking of picking up a mp3-esque hardware player soon. i know none of them support ogg, but could one, perhaps, put oggs on a minidisc player the way one does mp3s? im not clear on how the mp3 transfer works, but if such a thing is possible, please mail!
> thanks
> will

I don't know about the Minidisc-vs-MP3 thing, but I doubt Vorbis gets
support out-of-the-box (concerning playback on minidisc players).
However, since you're interested in Vorbis support in hardware, you can
help! http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/hardware.html tells everything
about the current hardware situation, including loads of addresses of
hardware manufacturers, and what Xiph offers them (for no cost). Ask
them for Vorbis support - the more people ask, the more market the
manufacturers see in Vorbis, the faster we get support. They must
understand that it's more than "Phase 1: Support Vorbis - Phase 2: ... -
Phase 3: Profit!". :)