[vorbis] RC3 vs. 1.0

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Thu Sep 12 15:30:30 PDT 2002

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 15:38, John Morton wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 04:25, Giuliano Pochini wrote:
> > On 09-Sep-2002 John Morton wrote:
> > > I managed to grab them all with wget, but it screwed up in konqueror -
> > > the mime type may be set to text for .flac extensions or something.
> >
> > Ok, but have you tried to encode them ? What do you think about ?
>
> Flac says the files are ok, and I've got them home via sneakernet. I'll
> probably have a play with them tonight, or at work if I remember to bring
> the headphones in.

I've had a listen to these samples, at quality levels starting at 3.0, and
while I get the vague impression that the encoded version is, perhaps,
noisier or more trebly, it's not something I can ABX at all. Me and most of
the rest of the people who rated vorbis the best at 128kbit in that c't
magazine survey, I guess.

Which is good, as I'm now in no rush to re-encode my CDs again, after redoing
all the RC2 stuff last week :-)

John