[vorbis] Debian mp3->vorbis transcoding

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Tue Sep 3 09:31:10 PDT 2002

On 2002-09-03, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> Stan Seibert wrote:
> > Are there any suggestions for a "unofficial standard" transcoding
> > marker?  Perhaps just a Vorbis comment:
> >
> > TRANSCODED=Freeform string describing previous encoding
> >
> > Example:
> >
> > TRANSCODED=192kbps MP3
>
> I'd rather see this done more generally, e.g.:
>
> FILE_HISTORY=Encoded with OggEnc-1.0 (libvorbis-1.0)
> FILE_HISTORY=Monoized with VorbisTweak-0.01 --mono
> FILE_HISTORY=Peeled with aardappelschilmesje-0.2 --max=36

I like this!  The Encoded line should probably include the quality
information, making QUALITY=... unneeded.  One can also generalize and
record in it the pre-digital history ("Mixed on FooBar 1.3C equipment",
"Recorded from FM stereo radio", etc...).  So it can also replace
SOURCE=... (I'm not sure if this is beneficial).

How about enabling oggenc to add this tag with his options automatically?
For the rare cases when you don't want the tag, add an option to supress
it.

> or, for your case,
>
> FILE_HISTORY=Transcoded from MP3 (CBR, 192kbps, M/S stereo)

I too think that TRANSCODED is too special but IMHO this case is worthy an
additional `QUALITY=Bad (mp3)!', even if other uses of QUALITY are
obsoleted by FILE_HISTORY...

Awake! Awake! Fear, Fire, Foes! Awake! Fire, Foes! Awake! [Tolkien, LOTR]
Fight software patents:  http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/
BTW, does somebody know what's the situation in Israel
concerning software patents?