[vorbis] c't listening test: Ogg problem at 128kbps

Giuliano Pochini pochini at shiny.it
Tue Sep 3 00:55:31 PDT 2002

> At 128kbps, however, most of the frequency response problems were gone
> -- except this time, I picked Ogg as the worst, based on an overly
> exacerbated treble. Others were still noisy and lacked impulse detail,
> but Ogg/Vorbis was the one I decided first was definitely not close to
> the original. Listening to it again, I can confirm the difference I
> heard, although maybe I wouldn't put it in last place this time.

It's caused by the lossless coupling at hi frqs and the effect is
stronger if you listen the music with headphones. I don't know if
it's possible to fix the problem without removing lossless coupling,
but the problem should be addressed in some way, because most music
this day have that kind of sound.

> If you like, I can put the reference file on the web (assuming it's
> copyright-cleared, given that c't has distributed them to basically
> anyone), so that you can try encoding and listening for yourself.

If you can, I'm curious to try.

> Please let me know what you think and whether I shall upload the
> file. I'm concerned about this, it's probably the only weak point of
> Ogg/Vorbis at the moment.

Yes, I think so.