[vorbis] Debian mp3->vorbis transcoding

Jonathan Stewart mysticalreaperlist at shaw.ca
Mon Sep 2 00:48:15 PDT 2002

Stan Seibert wrote:

>Are there any suggestions for a "unofficial standard" transcoding
>marker?  Perhaps just a Vorbis comment:
>
>TRANSCODED=Freeform string describing previous encoding
>
>Example:
>
>TRANSCODED=192kbps MP3

Stan, i think your message is the most very reasonable, and a good idea.
 I'd like to add a couple of thoughts.

Frist, I think it is now evident that people want to, and *will*
transcode mp3's into Ogg Vorbis files. Fighting this fact and saying it
should never be allowed to happen is not productive whatsoever, IMO.  So
what is to be done?

The Ogg Vorbis community should provide users with a way to transcode
mp3's into Vorbis. Why?  Because it would give us an opportunity to
educate the users.  If you imagine a future where people are moving away
from mp3's in great numbers, and transcoding their mp3's into Vorbis,
then I think that it's better if the Vorbis community is providing the
tools, rather than someone else. If the 'standard' tool is a Xiph tool,
then people will just use the Xiph tool, instead of an independantly
produced tool.  This would give us the opportunity to educate users
about what transcoding does to the sound files and make them think twice
before going ahead. Secondly, if the transcoder generated a TRANSCODED
flag, hopefully the TRANSCODED tag would become standard, and any other
transcoders (from MusicMatch for example) would adopt the same policy of
generating the TRANSCODED flag. Playback software might also flag the
file on playback to alert the user.

The issue here, as I see it, is that the Vorbis community feels like
they would be cheated if transcoding were common. The public's opinion
of Vorbis would be lessened not by the fault of the codec itself, but
because of foolish users. Thus, Vorbis would be cheated out of support
because on the false assumption that a transcoded file is the best
quality Vorbis offers.

However, because transcoding is possible, and also unpreventable, I
think the best solution would be to mitigate the negative effects of
this, by encouraging the use of a TRANSCODED tag, to inform people that
this is not a true example of Vorbis' capability.

So let's imagine a user (male :) who wants to transcode mp3's to Vorbis:
User wants to transcode, but doesn't have the tools.  So he searches
google, or something similar. He finds a page, that links him to the
tool at Xiph's webiste. However, once there he finds a stern warning,
telling him that unless he really know what he's doing, he should not do
this. He reads, and understand what he's getting into, and goes ahead.
 The resulting Ogg Vorbis files aren't of the best quality, but reason
is made known by the TRANSCODED tag.

This is getting long, so i'll stop myself here. :)  But I think that the
above situation would be much better than the current situation, which
seems to be that the user doesn't know what he's doing, and when he
asks, he get curt, perhaps harsh answers which say "Don't do it",
without a full explanation.  And then if he does do it, no one (meaning
you and I) has any way of identifying the output.

Jonathan

P.S. A TRANSCODED tag would also be useful for identifying all sorts of
transcoding that will occur, like DVD (AC3) to Vorbis, or MiniDisc to
Vorbis. The situation driving both these transcodings are pretty easily
concieved.