[vorbis] Debian mp3->vorbis transcoding

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Oct 29 01:06:22 PST 2002

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 09:49:34AM -0700, Craig Dickson wrote:
> In case there are any Debian developers around here, I wanted to point
> out message <20020828154322.GA15114 at chulak.naquadah.org> on the
> debian-devel list this morning. Another Debian developer is proposing to
> submit an mp3->vorbis transcoding program for inclusion in Debian.

Others already pointed out possible licensing issues.  I'll address
the 'transcoding is bad' issue.

I have in mind a concession to human nature: Folks are going to
transcode, and most are going to transcode for not-terribly-practical
reasons.  I suggest that if we do make a transcoder, it should be
Official and only allow ahlving the estimated bitrate.  Eg, 128kbps
mp3 -> q0 and so on.

This way, yes, people will still encode crappy mp3s to Ogg, but at
least they'll get smaller files for about the same quality, and we
won't get mail along the lines of 'you d00ds sux0r.  I turned all my
128kbps mp3s into Ogg and they're the same size."  or "they're just as
big and don't sound better."

Monty