[vorbis] How to fit Oggs in a specific amount of space?

Per Wigren wigren at home.se
Mon Oct 21 23:21:29 PDT 2002

I've noticed that a lot of my old (70s/80s) punkrock records uses a very high
bitrate compared to newer music.. I don't think it is because the punk is
more "noisy" (in fact, a lot of the music is not noisy at all, even quite
soft sometimes), but because they are cheap recordings with a lot of "silent
subnoise" like a buzzing amplifier or two in the background, cheap
microphones that distorts a little on loud sounds etc...
I also have well-produced 90s punkrock and death+black metal that although the
music is _extremly_ noisy, vorbis needs very few bits to encode at super
quality....

// Wigren