[vorbis] Re: [vorbis-dev] high frequencies response

Bostjan 00 at email.si
Sat Oct 12 11:10:01 PDT 2002

Hello Moritz.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
> Perhaps the short-term solution would be to implement the
> lossless-stereo-encoding-switch in the next official release. This
would
> make content those of us, who like more the sample that
Afaik, setting this via commandline is already possible through
undocumented advanced settings. Poke around the source to fine out which
they are.

Thank you for the info, but I believe this is not what most of us like
doing. There is usually a reason if such a switch is not documented -
perhaps it is not extensively tested. I agree with Monty here when he
says he believes in code testing:
better have a *slightly* worse sample than a ruined one.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Making this switch "official" would be a Bad Idea[tm]. People *will*
abuse it and create horrible .ogg files @ q4

It depends on the point of view: there are many users out there claiming
that "LAME is doing a better job at lower bitrates" on *****SOME*****
critical-stereo samples. After listening carefully, I have to agree. Try
some mentioned samples and you will probably agree too. This is where
the lossless-stereo switch will gain OGG a better reputation.

On non-critical samples I gave a hard time distiguishing OGG from the
original even at q2. But on some samples the high-freq problem is there
up to q6. If you want to be sure to have transparent files add +q2 for
safety and you get q8, which is what I am using right now.

I believe that with the lossless-stereo switch I wouldn't hear the
difference on ***ANY*** samples at much lower q settings, allowing me to
use perhaps q6 or even less. Do you understand my point?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
and maybe even lower, while
regarding themselves as extremely clueful because "this is better than
joint stereo".

I think that Monty is well aware of the problem and that the warnings he
is already giving in the documentation make well aware the user too of
the "danger".

Anyway I believe that the resultant lossless-stereo file at e.g. q4 is

-> larger in size and better in quality
not