[vorbis] RE: Hlp in finding a native Ogg trim, fade & nomalise tool

Ross Levis ross.levis at cchlawbase.co.nz
Tue Oct 1 16:29:59 PDT 2002

Hi John

A trimer/vcut type application is possible but unfortunately not a
fade/normaliser.  Not without decoding/encoding.  I asked about this a
couple of years ago.  Unlike MP3, the Ogg Vorbis format doesn't store a
global gain setting per frame.

I have often downloaded MP3 files from mp3.com and other sources for
broadcasting, and with the type of music I need, it is often not
normalised before encoding so I find it very useful to be able to
normalise the volume of the MP3 file without losing quality.  It is a
shame that in the future when Ogg Vorbis is the codec of choice, I'll
have to re-encode.

Hopefully some more work can be done to reduce the artifacts from
re-encoding.

Ross Levis
WinVorbis & Vorbix v1.40 (just released)
http://winvorbis.stationplaylist.com