[vorbis] An Analysis of the c't Codec Test

James Snook james.snook at gmx.net
Tue Oct 1 10:10:26 PDT 2002

I did a week of blnd testing with WinABX, although my equipment is not
the best going it's ok(SBLive 5.1, Sony amp, Wharfedale speakers and
namelss headphones used), thing is I find that all my music encoded with
LAME --r3mix and a maximum of 256vbr that I can almmost never pick mp3
from wav. However it took untill Vorbis -q 6.15~22 for me to stop
picking the Vorbis from wav, using 4 albums I concider high stress due
to the guitar work, or the range of noise in the tracks..  And sadly im
my opinion (and multiple ABX logs) I think that in order to BEAT --r3mix
LAME the Vorbis files will always need to be bigger in file size (on my
CD's ofc, I think more sample based music compresses better).
I don't have my logs anymore, as it was all purly personal testing for
myself and some friends, but the fact was there that I could distinctly
hear high freq' flange and "washy sound" in Vorbis up untill about 7.00,
although I admit you had to really listen hard to even tell, the fact
remains for my music that MP3 is just plain better still for file size
to sound quality ratio =/
All the same, I choose to use ogg at 6.20 now dispite these ABX results,
purly because I belive Vorbis has great potential, and the ability to
improve well beyond even r3mix tweaked mp3's.

Visit www.r3mix.net for very good information on MP3 encoding, it helped
me test Vorbis fairly vs MP3 at its best, not some awfull Xing or
default LAME setting.
Just though I'd say what I found :)