[vorbis] "skipping chunk" message

msmith at labyrinth.net.au msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Tue Nov 26 20:47:29 PST 2002

Eric Seppanen <eds at reric.net> said:

> When encoding a wav file with vorbis 1.0, I notice the following message:
>
> [eds at crash eds]$ oggenc -q 5 grind1.wav
> Skipping chunk of type "cue ", length 52
> Opening with wav module: WAV file reader
> Encoding "grind1.wav" to
>          "grind1.ogg"
>
> What's this "skipping chunk" all about?

It's a debug message. Either you're using a cvs build, or I accidently left it
in in 1.0. You don't need to worry about it, anyway.

A wav file consists of a number of chunks - typically, this is a "fmt " chunk
(describing the format of the audio data contained within), followed by a
"data" chunk (funnily enough, this contains the actual data).

Your wav file has an additional chunk in it, which oggenc doesn't need to
read, so it just skips over it. These extra chunks are occasionally produced
by some programs (though not most). They're fairly useless but harmless.

Michael