[vorbis] OGG --> MP3 conversion app?

Graham Mitchell graham at grahammitchell.net
Thu Nov 21 23:43:48 PST 2002

> You don't have to, and should not re-encode the .ogg files to MP3 in
> order to burn them to CD. Just decode them to .wav and then burn those
> .wav files. With time, when more nice and useful burning applications
> support burning .ogg directly, this step isn't necessary any more. By
> re-encoding to MP3 just in order to burn CDs, you're shooting yourself
> in the foot.

Almost certainly he's talking about a Discman that plays CDs full of mp3s.
The quality vs. space tradeoff rears it's head yet again: go only from ogg to
WAV and get only one album worth of reasonable quality, or transcode to mp3
and get literally ten times as much lower-quality music on a single disc.  I
think I can figure out which option the average Joe will choose.

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School
"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft... and the only