[vorbis] Re: Quality problem reencoding

Greg Wooledge greg at wooledge.org
Fri Nov 15 16:33:12 PST 2002

Dan Nelson (dnelson at allantgroup.com) wrote:

> use -b 16, which on my test wav actually generated an avg 24kbit file.
> I had to add -M 16 to force it to generate an avg 16kbit file.  Is
> there an oggenc flag that does what lame's --abr ## flag does?

In Vorbis 1.0, in order to make life easier for the average user,
-b is transparently mapped to a corresponding -q level.  E.g., -b 128
actually means -q 4.

If you want to use the equivalent of LAME's --abr, you need to use
"--managed" to turn on the managed bitrate engine.  Using "-b -M"
also seems to achieve this effect, and gives you a maximum bitrate
cap (which has a bit of flexibility).

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |