[vorbis] fitting lots of music into 10GB with Vorbis

Segher Boessenkool segher at koffie.nl
Sat Nov 2 20:19:37 PST 2002

Martin Blackwell wrote:

> I've just had a thought.
> Wouldn't this task be a whole lot easier to do if a stable version of a
> bitrate peeler was available.
> Since, in theory, all i'd have to do is click a few buttons, then i presume
> it wouldn't take more than a few hours to strip the quality 10 files down to
> quality 6.

Not more than a few _seconds_.  Peeling is just throwing away some bytes --
it's not reencoding.  The problem with peeling isn't the non-availability of
a (somewhat) good peeler -- it's the non-availability of an encoder that
writes better (than libvorbis-1.0) peelable streams.

Anyway, even with my current peelers, going from -q10 to (something largely
equivalent to) -q6 should work quite well; no-one can hear the difference
between -q6 and -q10 anyway (on most tracks).