[vorbis] fitting lots of music into 10GB with Vorbis

James Snook james.snook at gmx.net
Fri Nov 1 13:03:36 PST 2002

I'm not too sure if this is something that you can really get a lot of
direct help with, looking at the playlist (from a few I recognize) it
seems the music is fairly far ranged in style, and that means for any
given stetting Vorbis will compress quite differently from one
file/album to the next... Given the VBR nature of it, I use 6.22 in CDex
(not that I'd know if that is acceptable on a high end system) but my
albums will range from 50~MB to 100~MB just depending on the kind of
music I rip off the CD.  If thats the case perhaps you should encode a
few random albums (I find things like guitar/drum/vocal are harder to
encode than say dance music based on a lot of electronic samples), see
how they sound on the system and if it's good enough, encode the more
"complex" albums first then drop the quality a bit for the remaining
CD's that you think should fair better on the codec.
Sorry if that sounds weird but it is how I do such things!