[vorbis] 6 channel encoding

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Tue Nov 19 05:42:45 PST 2002

At 05:52 AM 18/11/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>It appears that either Vorbis was never intended to support more than 2
>channels
>or the algorithm doesn't work for low sound levels.  In trying to encode
>Beauty and the Beast and Starwars II using 6 channels, the Vorbis
>encoder produced
>noise in all the scenes were audio dropped below -25 dB.  Unfortunately
>since most
>dialog is below -25 dB, the Vorbis encodings are unintelligable for most
>of the movies.  Not
>a single dialog scene in Starwars which could be understood using Vorbis
>encoding while the
>end credits in Starwars and the Ballroom scene in Beauty and the Beast were
>completely destroyed by the Vorbis encoding.  Seems long string passages
>in 6 channels
>have beating added by Vorbis while most of the frequencies in dialog are
>removed.
>These encodings were done at 768000bits/second variable bitrate.

Vorbis definately works for many channels, and for very low-level
inputs. It's been extensively tested in all sorts of situations,
including encoding multichannel movie soundtracks.

The most likely explanation is that you've hit some sort of bug in
the software you're using to encode (not a bug in the core vorbis
libraries).

Since you neglected to say what software you were using, we can't
give you any more specific assistance than that.

Michael