[vorbis] need speech and music in one

f u axionman2k2 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 19 03:09:56 PST 2002

I am a newbie here so this may be a well worn topic...

I am working on a cd compilation that would combine
speech such as lectures and music.

I have many speeches that are 60 to 90 minutes in
length and would like to compress them as much as
possible.

I have one in mp3 format with the following specs:

Size: 13603893 bytes
Header found at: 0 bytes
Length: 3733 seconds
MPEG 2.5 layer 3
29kbit (VBR), 142925 frames
11025Hz Mono
CRCs: No

This 13mb file has very acceptable voice quality and
plays for over 100 minutes I think.  The vbr bounces
between 8 and rarely 32 kbit.

I believe that even 8khz Mono would be satisfactory
for such voice but my understanding is that ogg
doesn't go that low.  Now that speex has joined xiph,
will ogg be able to handle the low end for speech?

Being able to get 80-100 hours of speech onto a cd
would be a boon to economically sharing.  Anything
like that possible in the near future?

Do you Yahoo!?
http://webhosting.yahoo.com