[vorbis] bitrate peeling

Alejandro G. Belluscio baldusi at uol.com.ar
Fri Nov 8 09:43:41 PST 2002

Hello Akos,

AM> Jack Moffitt wrote:
>> The basic argument here was whether RealNetworks SureStream was the same
>> as peeling.  I think that it is not, although the pratical applications
>> of both technologies are similar.  We seemed to have digressed into a

AM> You're right in this one. And of course as you wrote earlier: SureStream
AM> is already there, while Ogg Vorbis streaming is in theory now only :(
Actually, if you use a non degenerate Ogg stream you could put multiple
ogg streams (same wav, diferent bitrates) in one ogg file. You shouldn't
need much work on a server that already supports bitrate negotiation to
use this kind of file. Or you could build your own by encoding multiple
time and concatenating (thou it's different than multiplexing). But we
have all that's needed today. We only need someone to put it together. I
think it's quite a lot easier than making a peelable encoder and a
peeler. It seems like a week of work to get something working (iff you
have a server and client that already adjust bitrates).

Regards,
Alejandro Belluscio