[vorbis] bitrate peeling

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Thu Nov 7 22:46:59 PST 2002

> RealAudio supports what they call the surestream - a format which gives
> the streamer the possibility to encode once, and then stream with
> various bitrates.

SureStream stores multiple encoded copies in the file.  RealServer just
has some smarts to swap between them.  This is really no different than
what icecast 1.x had, which allowed you to mark related streams, and
would then move the client around (only moving down was support, iirc)
based on various criteria.

It's possible that in UDP mode, there might be codecs that tolerate loss
somewhat, but I know if anyone has done peeling in this context before.

jack.