[vorbis] bitrate peeling

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Thu Nov 7 15:11:37 PST 2002

"Robert P. J. Day" wrote:
> theoretically, though, can you restore what you peel to get the
> original quality back in a lossless way?  that is, in any of the
> other audio formats?

No. The information you delete can't be restored. This applies both to
peeling and re-encoding. Ideally, a peeled file from, e.g. q6 to q4,
sounds just like if the q4 was directly encoded from the original source
audio. Ideally, this takes very little time and works a lot faster than
re-encoding, too.

Re-encoding on the other hand is like copying a tape to another tape,
which always results in either worse quality or bigger filesizes.

No other format that I know of supports peeling. Of course, every format
can be re-encoded (see above), but peeling is unique to Vorbis.

Anyways. No tools available for peeling yet, so we all have to encode
from the source again if we want a different quality .ogg for now.