[vorbis] 48000 Hz in vorbis rc3?

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Tue Mar 26 05:43:28 PST 2002

Michael Smith wrote:
> >For the sake of convenience, it's nice that Vorbis' VBR supports 48kHz
> >at decent quality already, but to get back to the start of the
> >discussion, not all people have the equipment to play it back. To bring
> >highest possible satisfaction to the audience, 44.1kHz still is the
> >first choice. IMO.
> Is this really still true? I suspect, though I have no hard evidence,
> that there's significantly better hardware support for 48 kHz output
> than 44.1 kHz (though almost all systems will resample from 44.1kHz
> either in hardware or software, if the hardware only supports 48 kHz).

>From the people I know, about 25% can playback 48kHz music. This is
because only few of them have bought their soundcards during the last
1-2 years when 48kHz support became common. Only the digital I/Os on
some soundcards have to resample in order to support 44.1kHz ... there
was some ranting about the very bad SPDIF of the SB Live!, but I can't
recall what the exact problem was, but I think it was something about
the resampling and 44.1 vs 48 kHz.