[vorbis] Saved streams

Stephen Commiskey scommiskey at pharmacology.umsmed.edu
Thu Mar 21 13:43:09 PST 2002

OOH!  <shameless freeloader>Would anyone care to recompile the WinAmp
2.x plugin to support this properly?  Better still, would anyone like to
recompile some of the CoolEdit plugins to support this?</shameless
freeloader>

Incidentally, I discovered that streams that have been properly cleaned
up (as was suggested at the time) with vorbiscomment have an interesting
property, at least as regards the Winamp plugin: if you consider this to
be a mere fragment of the stream that is as long as its endtime says it
is, and then seek to the desired time relative to the end of the stream
(rather than the beginning), you'll get the result you want.

For example, using my BBC streams: they're started 10 minutes early
(b/c they're an at job; I know I should just go to cron but... lazy).
Each is ended about 10 minutes late.  Total: 140 minutes of ogg.  If you
get a total length of 7000 minutes, then use Winamp's direct
seek-to-time of (say) 6950 minutes, you get 50 minutes from the end.  I
cannot seek back and forth a few seconds doing this, but at least I can
skip the annoying 10-minute intros.