[vorbis] portable vorbis players

Mij of_mij at freemail.it
Tue Mar 12 14:01:04 PST 2002

Nicola Larosa wrote:

> Rumors say HipZip is discontinued:
>
> Iomega discontinues PocketZip?
> http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1011993107.html

Yes. I talked with IOMEGA asking official confirm about.

"James: Thank you for using Iomega Support Services. How may I assist you?"
[...]
"James: Please note that the PocketZip technology will not be passed to
any other manufacturer."
[...]
"Michele: The software will be kept updated? HipZip is died only in its
"hardware" side?"
"James: Yes, if need arises the firmware will be updated for HipZip."
[... tausend lines trying to scratch something about ogg support...
finally:]
"Michele: please let me know just if You are working on this feature."
"James: One moment please"
"James: Unfortunately, we are unable to confirm, deny, or comment on any
possible future releases to the Iomega
product line. We recommend you periodically check our web site
www.iomega.com, to stay updated on our latest
product developments and releases."
"Michele: this is the official answer :) and the other? :)"
"Michele: leaving this form by accident you can press 'y', or 'n', i
gues..."
"Please note that this is the official answer."
[...]

This is how much I can extract.

> Yes, but it uses a proprietary storage medium, and Iomega has a bad
> track record in both reliability and customer service.

I think the HipZip users (i'm into) couldn't worry: PocketZIP will live
more than 2-3 years. Before this due date they'll buy something new
(this is the heart of the consumeristic life ;) ).

I hope this information will be useful.