[vorbis] bitrate

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Wed Mar 27 14:41:28 PST 2002

Mij wrote:
> >>Why now vorbis allow encoding @ "Average bitrate: 361.8 kb/s" ?
> >>

> >Why not?
> >
> "Ogg Vorbis is a fully Open, non-proprietary, patent-and-royalty-free,
> general-purpose compressed audio format for mid to high quality
> (8kHz-48.0kHz, 16+ bit, polyphonic) audio and music at fixed and
> variable bitrates from 16 to 128 kbps/channel"

Ah, now I see. Well, first of all, those numbers are per channel, and
stereo files have two channels. And then it also appears to be pretty
outdated, afaik one could expect more than 256kbps per channel on some
hard to encode clips at -q 10.

I also believe to remember that documentation fixes etc have pretty low
priority at the moment.