[vorbis] OT: Perfect Pitch

Myles Buckley mylesb at conexsys.net
Tue Mar 26 14:42:28 PST 2002

I won't bother quoting all of Moz's statements of how sound
is interpreted by those blessed/cursed with tape recorders
in their heads :)

I will add that his whole explanation of perfect pitch
perception easily offers an explanation as to why
some individuals will only archive flac/pac/ape (Moz - do you?)
and those of us that do not perceive that level of
detail and are fine using ogg only to archive.

Now, to bring this ON topic, could this level of perception
be emulated in such a way as to train a 'purists' set of
codebooks? - This would allow me to at least give my sister
a better chance to agree with me that .ogg's sound good enough.
(<q5.0 coupling seems to cause her grief)

Moz: do you perceive some .ogg's at q<=4.99 sound pingpongish?

Myles