[vorbis] 48000 Hz in vorbis rc3?

Moz lists at moz.co.nz
Tue Mar 26 02:25:09 PST 2002

Moritz wrote:
> I suppose. I'm working with samples at both 44.1Khz and 48kHz for
> years now, and I could never figure out the difference. Those few
> kHz (almost) don't matter at all.

OK, I'm a recovered audiophile rather than a technical type, but I do
have a vague grasp of the terms from elec engineerling lectures back
in the dark ages of my youth. I must confess, I suppose, to the
audiophiles curse at this point: I have perfect pitch. Tiny things
that matter not a jot become audible if I develop the habit of
listening for them. I have had the dubious joy of returning an
expensive ($US5k) CD player because it played flat - the clock turned
out to be about .5% slow (oh, woe... actually, in manufacturing terms
that's expectable but not acceptable).

> The 16bit quantisation noise is  far worse, I wish I could work with
> 24Bit or 32Bit samples. IMO, the additional overhead makes sense
> when it's big enough, like in 96kHz.

I heard (once) a system that used 32b/96kHz, and it made a very
noticeable difference. Used by one of the digital composer types as
part of a computer synth/mix desk setup that worked rather well, if
somewhat freakily for people watching it.

I guess what I'd prefer is to be able to feed DAT straight into
vorbis, and also the lower bitrates. But IMO it's more important that
44.1kHz works well than most of the alternate bitrates, given what
most people use this for.

Moz