[vorbis] 48000 Hz in vorbis rc3?

Moz lists at moz.co.nz
Mon Mar 25 23:26:14 PST 2002

fungus wrote:
> Ben Pearre wrote:
>> Not entirely true.  It's well-known that we can't consciously hear
>> sustained sine waves above 18KHz or so, but it's now thought that
>> there are other situations in which much higher frequencies make a
>> big difference.

> The higher sampling rate isn't there to reproduce
> high frequency signals (which are inaudible), it's
> there to reduce aliasing.

Or, in less technical language, it makes a real difference to how we
hear sudden noises like claps and cymbals. One of the trivial
demonstrations of this is to record a handclap on DAT then play it
back cut off at 22kHz (DAT native mode) and, say, 15kHz. Almost
everyone can hear the difference clearly, even those who can't hear
continuous 15kHz.

Moz