[vorbis] 48000 Hz in vorbis rc3?

Alan MacDonald newslists at warpzillion.com
Mon Mar 25 12:27:18 PST 2002

> Not entirely true.  It's well-known that we can't consciously hear
> sustained sine waves above 18KHz or so, but it's now thought that
> there are other situations in which much higher frequencies make a big
> difference.  Transients?  The fact that most playback equipment tries
> to be flat only up to 20KHz doesn't help, but usually it won't get to
> -3db for a while above that...

I could definetly be wrong on this, but I was under the impression that one
of the main reasons for going to higher sampling rates has nothing to do
with Nyquist or transients, but the limitations of analog low pass filters.
The fact that it is impossible to build a perfect lowpass filter at 22050
kHz for 44100 kHz sampling rate causes the higher end of the spectrum to be
unnecessarily cut down because of the limits of the analog filters.

Later,
Alan