[vorbis] Interesting file-sharing idea

Ben Pearre bwpearre at mit.edu
Wed Mar 20 08:51:36 PST 2002

> Pretty easy - tags get added whenever a reasonable suggestion is made,
> and there's general consensus that it'd be a useful addition. Adding a
> small number is certainly ok - don't go overboard though. And don't start
> another metadata flamewar, _please_.

Alright, rather than answer Segher's comments, I'll ask a dumb question.

1) If I add a new field to an ogg file using vorbiscomment, it appears
   with that and with ogginfo.  So the comment field names are
   completely arbitrary: that is, the vorbis standard doesn't enforce
   any of them, just the document
   http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html lists the
   canonical ones?  That is, there's no room set aside for a field
   called "album", etc (except for the vendor name field)?

2) The fields proposed in v-comment.html are all capitalised.  The
   reference implementation treats the fields as case-sensitive (ALBUM
   is not the same as album).  Oggenc sets the field names using
   lowercase.  What's the deal?

3) How do I propose new fields, officially?

Cheers!
-Ben

--
bwpearre at alumni.princeton.edu                http://hebb.mit.edu/~ben