[vorbis] Interesting file-sharing idea

Ben Pearre bwpearre at mit.edu
Tue Mar 19 16:23:34 PST 2002

> I would definitely find value in all your suggestions except the first
> one.  Perhaps listings from song tags would be an option, but many of
> the downloads I receive are tag-deficient.  Partly due to that, I have
> personally become dedicated to a file naming standard which serves all
> my sorting/playback needs, as well as batch tag populating:
>    artist (year-album name-track number) - track name

Just a note - your system is poor for classical music.  I suspect that
it makes sense to have another, independent standard for such: there
may be two independent artists and years (writing and performing).
There's a rough correspondence otherwise:

album name <-> piece name
track <-> movement (On many CDs the "track" will go from, say, 1 to 4
                    three times.)

...and most people would care most about composer name/year and less
about performer.

That said, I like the idea of using the id tags rather than the names,
allowing people to reorder and rename without loss of information.

The real deficiency is in the id fields of the vorbis standard.  How
hard is it to add a couple more?

--
bwpearre at alumni.princeton.edu                http://hebb.mit.edu/~ben