[vorbis] OGG question:

Troy Telford troyt at myrealbox.com
Sun Mar 17 22:28:48 PST 2002

Here's a question I have:  My understanding is that OGG is a
'containter' format, allowing for multiple streams of multiple types, of
which Vorbis is only one.

My question is this:  Is it feasable (and, considering licencing,
leagal) to create an .ogg file that contains, say Indeo or Cinepak
video?  (In other words, use the ogg bitstream to store the data rather
than .avi).  Personally, I think this might be a fairly interesting way
to learn to code for the ogg project:  Implement pre-existing formats
within ogg.  Personally, I think a great example would be 'ogg wav,'
which is exactly what it sounds like:  .wav files stored inside an ogg
bitstream.  (I know I may have the terminology wrong, and actually
/doing/ it would be a bit... redundant...   stupid... waste of time...
but it could serve to help educate some of us heathens about the
robustness of ogg, and/or how to code for it.)

On a similar train of thought, it would be great to have support for VP3
-- which as I understand it can be added to the ogg project (it's
open-source, and I think the licence allows it...).

Another example would be DivX or MPEG4.  (ogg is a container, so
licencing doesn't apply, right?!?)

It'd be slick to have an .ogg file using DivX video and Vorbis audio.

(I mention DivX and VP3 because they exist in a release-form now;  I'm
not ignoring Tarkin at all.  I'm simply wondering if there are any
technical (and, sadly, leagal) problems with DivX and/or VP3 inside an
.ogg file.

Basically, I see all these codecs that windows can use (and many of
which are $free) and think it's a shame that they seem to be restricted
to .AVI.